Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Top 10 Most Famous People

My class, fifth hour, and the news article's list were very similar. We had seven people that were the same. These people were: Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, Harriet Tubman, Susan B. Anthony, Benjamin Franklin, Amelia Earhart, and Thomas Edison. One thing that I wonder is whether the survey was done in a history class. In my class, people were suggesting hip hop and rap artists and sports athletes of today, but then somebody said "lets be real this is in all of history". I was proud that we got 7/10 the same as the news articles.
I thought the men who wrote the article were being a little ridiculous in suggesting that the teens of today would suggest people such as Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, and Tupac as people we would put down as being the most famous Americans in history. I think it's amazing that only about five decades ago teens in the classroom would have put neither African Americans nor women as being the most famous people because they weren't really included in history books. I am glad that the people of our country have realized how wrong not having equal rights is. Though many older people believe that the teens of today don't seem to be learning the history of America and who our important leaders have been, they are wrong according to this poll.